George The Animal Steele

Wwe Legend George 'the Animal' Steele Dies At Age 79
Wwe Legend George 'the Animal' Steele Dies At Age 79

... unpredictable Superstars in sports-entertainment history.'. Hulk Hogan, who fought 'The Animal' during his career, shared his condolences on Twitter. He wrote: 'RIP my brother,only love,only grateful.'. His real name was William James Myers, but he was known to beloved fans as 'The Animal'. Prior to breaking into sports, Steele received his Master's Degree from Central Michigan University and became a high school teacher and wrestling coach in the Detroit area. It was during his teaching stint that he began moonlighting in sports-entertainment, working in the Detroit-area promotions. Steele's first WWE appearances took place in 1967, when he began a heated rivalry with WWE Champion Bruno Sammartino. For nearly 20 years, Steele was a reviled villain, managed by the likes of fellow WWE Hall of Famers The Grand Wizard, 'Classy' Freddie Blassie, Capt. Lou Albano and Mr. Fuji. Classic: Steele, pictured throwing out the first pitch at a Boston Red Sox game main evented ...



Jim Myers' Double Life As George The Animal Steele
Jim Myers' Double Life As George The Animal Steele

... But then people were telling me, it's bad for business, stupid.' Early on, I resented that it wasn't real, but as I continued to wrestle, I learned respect and I felt respect for the business. It may sound corny, but I felt like a director who was leading an orchestra. That type of wrestling is a lost art. At the height of his popularity, Myers contracted Crohn's Disease, which forced him quickly into retirement. "I was mainstream and big time, and the whole cartoon character thing was going fantastic. I came down with Crohn's, and, after my last match, I spent 31 days in the hospital, with IVs. I was 50 years old at the time, and maybe I shouldn't have been running with young wolves.". Fall of "The Animal". After retirement from wrestling and teaching, Steele moved to Florida. The pain of ring injuries, ten years of enduring a life-threatening disease, and an overwhelming depression plagued him. "I had sleeping pills in my mouth, and the radio turned to a country and western station.". He said that in his deepest moment of distress, he found God. He ...

No comments:

Post a Comment